Travel to the Main Campus
- Routes 4 and 4A run through the main campus to and from the city centre
- Other routes serve Dumbarton Road (for Kelvinhaugh Gate / Cairncross House), Great Western Road and Maryhill Road (for Murano Street), and Byres Road near the University
- Journey planning, rates, and maps (opens in new tab / window)
- Note buses require exact fare (i.e. no change given)
- Glasgow is served by one subway line (link opens in new tab / window)
- The main stop for the University is Hillhead (on Byres Road)
- Kelvinbridge and Kelvinhall stations are closer to the residences at Kelvinhaugh Gate and Cairncross House
- Hillhead station is decorated with a mural of the University district by the celebrated Glasgow artist Alastair Gray – worth checking out!
- The main stop for the City Centre is Buchanan Street (adjacent to Queens Street rail station)
- Subway map (opens in new tab / window)
- The nearest suburban rail station is Partick, about one mile west of the University. It has an interchange with the subway and with bus services on Dumbarton Road.
- The residences at Kelvinhaugh Gate and Cairncross House are close to Exhibition Centre station. See here for details.
- Black taxicabs can be hailed at most times in the University area and the city centre
- The closest taxi rank to the University is located on Byres Road near the Hillhead Subway entrance
- You can also phone for a black taxi cab on 0141 429 7070
- If bringing your own bike, there are a number of places to park bicycles across campus
- If you want to find out more about locations of cycle parking facilities, showers, bus stops, gates and car parking areas on our main campus, you can consult our University of Glasgow Active Travel Map (link opens in new tab / window)
- The city operates a very successful bike hire scheme which has official ranks both on campus and throughout the city. Bikes can be hired for as little as 30 minutes (£1)